Limburger


I wanted to do a quick post to open your eyes to Limburger Cheese. I have always heard horror stories of Limburger. It is smelly. Eww, that is gross. Smells like_____________ (fill in the blank), etc... These comments have honestly intrigued me.

The other night I was out to dinner with my good friend G, and I asked her opinion of Limburger Cheese. She really likes it. She shared the memory of eating it with her dad (may he rest in peace) while watching movies. She said that they always ate it smeared on bread and topped with onions. I knew then I had to try it.

The Limburger is the cheese with the candy cane spreader
(I know Christmas is over, but the spring spreaders are still packed away)
Today I purchased my first ever Limburger Cheese. I added it to my cheese plate along with some Gorgonzola, Gouda, Goat, Parmesan, and Mozzarella. When I cut into it, yes, it was "smelly", but nothing overwhelming. There are other "smelly" cheeses that fit into the same sharp smell category that this cheese produced. I tried it three different ways. The first all by its lonesome. The taste was fishy. Not a bad fishy, but like fish sauce in Asian cooking. The second was on a cracker. It was better. And the third was on bread with sliced onion. This was the best. I even added some of the red pepper pictured above and it was over the top. All the components complemented each other nicely. This is the way I will eat the remaining of the Limburger.

I need to tell you that a little of this cheese does go a long way.  If you do try it,which I encourage you to do, put just a thin smear on your cracker or bread. When you find yourself in the cheese department of the grocery and you pick up that small square package, let me know what you think. As for me, I will purchase it again. It is not my favorite, but it is different and now I can say that I have had Limburger Cheese. Heres to you G, Red, and movie night!

0 comments:

Post a Comment